- Research prospective insurance agencies before you commit to a policy
- Read reviews and consider recommendations from friends and family
- Finding a cheap rate is great, but remember that in the case of an emergency you will need to be dealing with the insurance company directly. Having an insurance company with great customer service can help alleviate some of the stress in an already stressful situation with your home.
- Standard policies have exclusions, including: earthquakes, power failure, war, nuclear hazard, government action, faulty zoning, bad repair or workmanship, and defective maintenance. Flooding and water damage are usually only covered in certain conditions.
- Talk to your insurance agent about the details of your policy. You may want to consider purchasing supplemental coverage
- Most policies will pay for damage to your home and possessions in the events of storms, fire, theft, and vandalism
- It provides liability insurance if someone gets hurt on your property and decides to file a lawsuit
- It can also cover the costs of a hotel if you are temporarily displaced from your house
- Things like a working smoke detector and burglar alarms can lower your rates
- Preventative actions can reduce premiums.
- By reducing your liability risks, you can qualify for lower rates. You may also save some money by bundling your other insurance policies with your homeowners, like auto or life.
- Jewelry is usually covered in a homeowner’s policy – but beware – it is typically only covered to a certain amount
- When you sign up for homeowner’s insurance ask your agent about the limits
- If you own jewelry which has a value that exceeds the standard policy, you may want to consider buying supplemental insurance so that in case it is lost of stolen – you are covered 100%
- Document everything that occurs during a loss. Write down the damages and what you have done to help mitigate the damages
- In addition to saving receipts, contracts, and appraisals, document phone calls by writing down who you spoke to and when. Insurance claims can be cumbersome and confusing. Don’t depend on your memory alone to remember all the details.
- Report any claims as soon as possible. Many insurance companies have a time limit for reporting claims.
- If you wait too long, you may not be eligible for benefits, especially if waiting has caused the problem to worsen.
Florida Mortgage Chick
Residential Mortgage Loan Originator
520 E. Fort King Street Unit B-3
Ocala, FL 34471
(352) 877 3188
M-F: 8:00am – 5:00pm